These are testing times. But they also offer some great opportunities.
Here are some things I’m trying to do and some links where appropriate:
- Get the phone numbers of a couple of isolated neighbours – particularly the elderly without a partner or access to social media – phone them. Diarise to phone them EVERYDAY and give them your number. . You might be the only human contact they have that day.
- If you are not in a high risk category then use your FB account to let your local friends know you can pop to the shop for them
- Try and keep your social media posts positive.. I am posting a daily ‘happy’ in the form of a short video over on FB (I’m @cerdynvillabnb) and on Insta (I’m @thealternativecelebrant )
- Try and overcome the obsession with following and reading all the scary news… we all know what we have to do, without all the media hype
- Use Zoom to do a regular coffee morning/afternoon tea or evening tipple session – half an hour of banter would lift anyones spirits (BAN TALK OF C19 if you want!!!)
- If you’ve got a garden – get out and make it beautiful whilst the weather is kind – exercise and fresh air. If you haven’t got a garden but have a windowsill or balcony, if you’ve got old jars and tubs you could grow some flowers, lettuce or tomatoes in them… buy seeds on-line.
- All the odd snag list jobs around the B&B will get sorted… but only if its raining
- Spring clean the house and declutter – gather bags that will go to charity when life returns to a semblance of normal.. rationalising is supposed to be good for your mental wellbeing – I’m going to try it
- Take an on-line course..FREE courses
- Get arty for all ages, art competitions, museums, digital art, art games, art education… Art At Home
- excercise – if you’ve got kids or just want a bit of fun PE with Joe is on everyday at 9am…and excercise gets you ‘happy’ endorphins running around your bod
- Combat boredom with a virtual trip… visit museums, farms, forts, aquariums, galleries through virtual tours.. Chatterpack
- Get out your sewing machine and make funky chic face masks and share them with your local hospital…. (ok, I’m not actually doing this myself as I have exactly zero needlework skills, but I think it’s a great idea… these two are mine for working in the local garage shop)
- Get into the TedTalks; there’s something for everyone on just about any subject
- Enter our competition… win a weekend break sometime in the future!
So that’s me busy for the foreseeable future. In addition there are loads of other online resources… live free gigs and obviously the usual Netflix and chill 😘
Finally, take care of your mental health.. with 10 minutes of daily mindfulness ….
… and try to retain a sense of humour…
Keep in touch.